Posting pictures to Instagram is easy. However creating an account that attracts people and makes them WANT to follow along … that’s a little more challenging. That’s where I come in. 🙂 I have come up with FOUR tips for getting your first (or next) 1000 followers on Instagram.
01 + Build Anticipation +
Make it a big deal, cause it is. Instagram is naturally a fun platform, so keep it that way. Building the anticipation is so effective that most of your larger companies use this technique. People are always curious about what’s behind the curtain. 🙂 Here are some ways to help:
- Use your other social accounts to direct people to your Instagram – talk about “new” or “just released” photos.
- Post trivia questions and have them go to Instagram to respond or find the answers.
- Send out “sneak peeks” to your email lists.
02 + Post Engaging Content +
If you’ve been reading this blog for any extended amount of time, you’ve heard me preach about the importance of engaging content. Instagram is no different. Nobody wants to follow an account that’s full of reposts, ads, and promotions. It’s boring. There I said it.
HOWEVER, with that said, I do understand that you’re trying to run a business and share your wares so some amount of campaigning is mandatory. Use your best judgement and go with the 80/20 rule: 80% of your posts are what your audience loves to see and are fun and engaging, and 20% are your promotions and business stuff. Before you hit “Share” ask yourself, if I saw this, would I double tap it? 80% of the time that answer should be “Yes”.
Here are some ideas to help keep that 80% still in line with your business:
- Behind-the-scenes photos – People love to know what happens on the other side.
- Bloopers – Who doesn’t love to watch funny mistakes happen?
- Quotes – Keep them related to your business when possible.
03 + Use Hashtags +
By now I think everybody knows what a hashtag is. But for those of you who have recently crawled out from under a rock, or just awoken from a 20 year coma: hashtag – a word or group of words preceded by a # sign and used to identify topics and create search links for similar posts. (ie: #TGIF will give you all the photos with that same hashtag posted/viewed by people outside your network.)
Here are a few suggestions about hashtags though:
- Only use 5-7 otherwise it can get a little confusing. Here’s a breakdown to help you know which ones:
- Hashtags 1-3: Business related – #BusinessName #MainKeyword #MainKeyword
- Hashtags 4-7: Popular related – #ThrowbackThursday #picoftheday #tbt #instadaily
- Here are a few Hashtag sites I use to get ideas and know which hashtags apply to what I’m trying to do:
04 + Post & Engage +
I know it can be a lot of work to keep up with a business, a blog, and all the social media that goes along with it. But it’s worth it. Social media is an amazing tool that we have at our disposal. Don’t waste any opportunities with it. Use scheduling programs and set up automation so you don’t have to worry about it. A little planning with social media can go A LONG ways!!
Instagram is fun, if you can think about it that way, it won’t feel like work. Remember to post often and to engage, both with those that comment on your awesome photos and on other people’s photos. Create a conversation, that’s how you create loyal followers and customers.
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments below. Start/Join in a conversation.