Want more? Sign up for exclusive weekly emails for insights & advice on starting & running your badass business.

Free Audit Friday – #1

Welcome to the very first edition of Free Audit Friday – a Q&A of sorts where you get to ask the questions about: blogging, design, social media, marketing, etc… really anything you want, and I will try my dammedest to answer them.

Free Audit Friday Rules:

• Ask ONE question per comment – keeps it easy to follow along.
  • Post no more than 3 questions per session.
  • Keep the questions short: (Longer questions will be saved and used for separate blog posts.)

• “Are the photos sizes I use for my posts too big?”
    • “Should I use the same photo for all my social media profiles?”
    • “Is my site easy to navigate?”
    • “How can I make my posts easier to read?”
    • “What is one thing I can change to make my site better?”
    • “How can I fix my sidebar to make it more readable?”
  • Make sure to leave a link to your blog/site/profile so I can actually SEE what you’re talking about.

Pretty simple right? Straight-forward? Good! And…. GO!!

10 Comments

1. James on November 6, 2015 at 10:13 am

How do you get people to signup for your text message campaign? Sorry, no website like is available. My company only has an Intranet site.

• Elle on November 6, 2015 at 10:26 am

No worries at all. 🙂 Text marketing can be tricky. People are a little more hesitant to give a way a personal phone number. You have to 1) build trust 2) show value and 3) make it ridiculously easy! I’d recommend starting with social media because it’s a common ground. You can use those platforms to literally ASK your customers what they would like to receive and when. Marketing doesn’t have to be a guessing game and the best campaigns are more of a conversation. You can also leverage your Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook contact lists (ie: I know Facebook has a widget that lets people opt-in directly from their computer. Post images to Instagram advertising your offer and ideas.) Be completely irresistible. Make them NEED to get your texts. Offer an occasional “sample text” to your social lists so they know what to expect. Be transparent too, tell them what times you’ll be sending and be considerate about that. I personally hate business texts after 6pm or before 6am. I’ve opted out of really good campaigns based on that factor alone. I hope that helped a little and was what you were looking for. GOOD LUCK, my friend!

• James on November 6, 2015 at 10:39 am

Thank you for your suggestions. Any suggestions if your audience is internal to the business and there is no social media communication. All communication is done via email and or getting them to visit your Department Intranet site?

• Elle on November 6, 2015 at 10:56 am

Hmmm… That one is a bit more challenging. Are you all local or is the business spread out world wide? You could offer a give-away or contest. If they sign up they are entered to win something fun. Or have goals set so that when you reach XX number of text marketing you get something company wide. Add your text marketing information to the bottom (as part of the signature) of all your emails. This way no matter what is being sent, there is always a little reminder to them. You can also consider inner office social media platforms such as Yammer. I’ve recently seen this in action and a nationwide company has grown a lot by “opening the floor”. Just a suggestion, I’m not sure what your company allows in that department.

• James on November 6, 2015 at 12:16 pm

These suggestions I can sink my teeth into. They would work in my business environment.

• Elle on November 6, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Perfect! I’m so glad to hear that. And thank you so much for contributing! These questions were fun! Definitely stretched my brain in a direction it doesn’t normally go. 🙂 Thanks!

2. Katie on November 6, 2015 at 10:49 am

I’m trying to figure out how to grow my e-mail list, but I’m not sure what kind of opt-in would be good… I’m an artist, so I’m not sure that an e-mail course would really match what I do. I blog about creativity, life, my art and family. I’d love some ideas/advice

• Elle on November 6, 2015 at 11:10 am

That’s a great question, Katie. Growing an email list is so important to any business so kudos to you for having this goal! (And LOVE your art btw!!) Ok – down to business: First off, I don’t think an e-mail course is what everybody needs. It’s not one of those one-size-fits-all solutions. For you, I’d recommend including a sticky bar at the top of your site and/or a pop-up so that your visitors are completely aware that you HAVE an email list they can join. (I personally use SumoMe and have gotten really great results with them.) You can even try throwing in an occasional post reminding people that you have an email and that they NEED to join it. I like that you’ve included a free printable for joining. That’s a great first step! Make sure that you talk about that cool printable on your social media, and even change it once in a while so that you kind of hit all the bases. Some ideas: create art cheat sheets, templates, inforgraphics to save them time, etc.. not everybody needs a print, but all artist need something! (I’m one too so I can say that, right? lol) For the email subscribers that you have already, ask them to help share the word. Include a sign-up link at the bottom of your regular emails too. Just a quick: “Hey did you know you can sign up for my weekly e-blast too? Click HERE so you don’t miss a thing!.” Engage with them, ask questions, send out surveys, find out exactly what your target audience is looking for. And as always: create amazing content and they will come. Hope that helped some.

3. Katie on November 6, 2015 at 11:31 am

Elle, that helped SO much! Thanks a million! 🙂 I found you somehow through Instagram, and will definitely keep reading. 🙂

• Elle on November 6, 2015 at 11:54 am

I’m so glad I could help! Thanks for contributing – means a lot to me. And I’m REALLY happy that you found my site. I love instagram. 🙂 Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you, and make sure you tell your friends. 🙂 Have a good one and we’ll see you around at the next #RebelFridayQA